The Causeway, pictured in 1905.
As estimated 6,000 people—about half of the Island’s population—staked out positions in the area to witness the official opening of The Causeway and Swing Bridge on September 19, 1871.
Begun in 1864, and built at a cost of £30,000, it was the largest project undertaken by Government up to that point. It linked St. George’s to the mainland by land for the first time, replacing the ferry.
The Causeway was demolished in a hurricane in September 1899, but was soon rebuilt.
More recently, in September 2003, four people lost their lives trying to cross the Causeway when Hurricane Fabian was bearing down on Bermuda.
The Causeway was extensively damaged but was repaired within two months. A memorial has been erected for the four who died.